Friday 1 April 2011

Being Selfish

Have you ever grown up thinking being selfish was a bad thing? I'm not saying that is how I was raised, but it's just something that I always believed. I always thought selfishness was getting what you wanted at others expense.  I learned through my experience on VOAD, and my many chats with Adel , that there is actually a good way to be selfish!! Who knew right??

I think for a lot of people, it's hard to put themselves first. Others, I think, find it to easy lol. I'm mostly speaking about when it comes to changing your lifestyle.  A lot of people use family as a reason to not get out and exercise.  Maybe thinking that its selfish to want to do something for themselves.  Well, that's how I used to think.  I felt that being Mom meant it was my purpose to be there for my daughter always. Don't get me wrong, my daughter is first priority, but I used to think that I needed to be there constantly, even when George was around. You know what I mean?

I always thought that I was needed, couldn't do anything alone in-case I was missed.  What it really comes down to is, you need to trust (especially if you have kids) that your spouse is going to have everything under control.  It is OKAY for you to have time for yourself.  To exercise, spend time with friends, what ever you want to do.  I never used to do any of that.  George would come home from work and not even need to ask how my day was because he knew exactly what I did.  You do however, need to find a balance between what you are and aren't doing.  In trying to find myself, it did get to the point where I was spending too much time away from my family.  I feel like I have found balance now.

I LOVE going to Sunday boot-camps! That is me time, and I love it!!! Now that it's so nice out, I've actually started walking there again! Getting an extra 300 calories burned and feeling amazing in the process. 

I just want to say one more thing.  The people around you who care about you will understand the decisions you make.  People who maybe you thought were your friends, wont, but that is their problem...not yours! We all make our own decisions, and until we are accountable and take responsibility for them we will never truly be happy.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree.With 3 young kids I have to be selfish...it makes me a better person all around!

    ReplyDelete